While in Recruit School, Firefighter Trainees are paid an hourly rate. This rate will be included in the hiring announcement on our employment page at the time of advertisement. Upon completion of Recruit School, Trainees are classified as Firefighters and are compensated based upon the Fire Department Pay Plan.
Please contact Human Resources for specific information regarding compensation at 843-724-7388.
The City of Charleston offers a competitive total compensation package to supplement hourly pay rates.
- Group health, dental, vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Police Officers Retirement System (PORS)
- Optional deferred compensation plans
- Vacation leave
- Paid sick leave
- Optional life insurance and disability
- Veteran on-the-job training
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness programs to include discounted corporate gym membership and gym reimbursement
- Paid Holidays
**Benefit information provided is a summary only and is subject to change. Full details will be provided at time of employment and take precedence to any information provided here.
City of Charleston Firefighters have the opportunity for career advancement through a competitive promotional process.