News Flash

City of Charleston News Flash

Posted on: March 30, 2020

City of Charleston March 30 Coronavirus AM Update

The city of Charleston continues to operate at OPCON 1 and the city’s Stay at Home ordinance remains in effect with non-essential businesses closed citywide.

Over the weekend, Charleston Police Department continued their policy of measured enforcement of the stay at home ordinance, informing citizens about the law and reiterating that parks, public spaces and non-essential businesses are closed.

Charleston Police Chief Luther Reynolds said, “Our measured enforcement approach to the Stay at Home ordinance seems to be having the desired effect. This weekend, traffic was down by more than 75% on our major thoroughfares, and among those who are out for recreation, we’re seeing much smaller groups with better social distancing. So, based on what we’re seeing, I’d say we’re trending in the right direction."

In addition to CPD efforts, the city’s Livability Department began working last week to contact large grocery and big box stores in the area to review city social distancing requirements.

"So far, the response has generally been positive, with many stores implementing social distancing policies and procedures that really work," said Livability Director Dan Riccio. "We plan to continue this outreach until all our store owners and managers understand the goals and requirements of the ordinance."

 An emergency meeting of Charleston City Council will take place virtually this evening at 5 p.m. Citizens can listen in by calling 1-929-205-6099 and entering access code: 925302562. The agenda for tonight’s meeting can be found here: https://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_03302020-5389.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City of Charleston News Flash