All customers are encouraged to register with the new Customer Self Service (CSS) Portal to schedule inspections, apply for permits (coming soon) and update business licenses.
Important Information When Scheduling Through CSS
- All sub-trade inspections - electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fuel-gas - are scheduled under the project’s building permit. Please go into the building permit to find and schedule sub-trade inspections.
- All stand-alone trade permit inspections - electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fuel-gas - are scheduled within the trade permit.
Requirements Before Inspections Can Occur
- The address and permit placard must be posted and visible from the road or street and the placard accessible to the inspector.
- Plans stamped as "Field Copy" and any updates from the Building Inspections Office are to be on site for all inspections. The plans shall remain on the job site throughout the remainder of the job.
- Toilet facilities (within 300 feet of the job site) shall be available.
- Silt fencing for erosion control must be in place prior to clearing or grading.
- Gravel entry or paved access to the site.
Requesting an Inspection
- Customer Self Service (CSS)
- Email inspections(email@example.com) and include the following information in your email request:
- Contractor name and phone number (who is on site)
- Permit number
- Project address
- Requested inspection date
- Type of inspection
Inspections can only be scheduled through the Building Department for permits issued before August 14, 2017.
The City of Charleston will schedule inspections as they are received throughout the day.
- Requests made before noon (Noon) will be scheduled one business day out. Example: Request taken at 11 a.m. on Monday - Inspection scheduled for Tuesday.
- Requests received after noon (Noon) will be scheduled two business days out. Example: Request taken at 3 p.m. on Monday - Inspection scheduled for Wednesday.
Please note all inspections are performed Monday through Friday, except City designated holidays.
Assistance with Inspections
- Email Inspections
- Phone: 843-724-7441 (Please note, inspection requests will not be accepted via phone call and/or voicemail)
Contact Your Inspector
The preferred method is texting.