Zoning Division Overview
The Zoning Division administers the City’s zoning and subdivision regulations. Zoning regulations address a wide range of issues including:
- How property is used, for example the type of commercial use, the number of dwelling units allowed, etc.
- Allowed hours of business use
- Affordable housing
- Building heights and the location of buildings relative to property lines
- Preservation of trees and landscaping requirements. To request a tree removal inspection click here.
- Size and height
- Subdivision of property and construction of new roads
- Other related matters
The City’s zoning ordinance is available online by clicking here. Originally adopted in 1931, the zoning ordinance has grown in its scope and complexity and continues to be amended to respond to various development and land use issues. Currently, the zoning ordinance consists of:
- 48 Base zoning districts
- 14 Overlay zoning districts
- 22 Old City height districts
- 4 Neighborhood Districts
- More than 70 Planned Unit Developments and Neighborhood Districts.
- Preservation and design districts which are administered by the Preservation & Urban Design Division
Boards of Zoning Appeals
The Zoning Division administers two Boards of Zoning Appeals:
The Zoning Division also administers the City’s Technical Review Committee and coordinates the review and approval process for major subdivisions through the Planning Commission. Minor subdivisions involving the creation of no more than four lots, property line adjustments and abandonments are reviewed by the Plat Review Committee.
Violations are enforced through the City’s Livability Court. To file a complaint or notify us of a possible violation, send us an email, use this form or call 843-724-3765.
The Permit Center handles things such as issuing permits and business licensing, Board of Architectural Review, Zoning review and Building Inspections and code review. The Permit Center Hours of Operation are as follows:
Monday through Friday
9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
(Except for City Observed Holidays)
Common requests handled by the Zoning Division:
Access other related documents.