Charleston Water Systems (CWS)

Prior to submitting for a City of Charleston building permit, the city strongly recommends that applicants contact Charleston Water System (CWS) to establish water and sewer service requirements.

Failure to consult with CWS with full details of your project may result in unnecessary delays and potentially additional project costs associated with the following:

Grease Traps

A CWS written grease trap installation approval is required (even if an existing grease trap is in place) for any business required by SC DHEC to have a food service license, for all businesses utilizing a commercial sink(s), and/or businesses that will prepare/serve/produce any food or beverage for sale.

Commercial & Industrial Buildings

New buildings & renovations/expansions to existing buildings with commercial/industrial uses should be assessed for compliance with current CWS Policies & Minimum Standards.