In a building constructed in stages from 1840 to 1856, the Charleston Visitor Reception and Transportation Center is in an area designated as a National Historic Landmark District.
The Charleston Visitor Reception and Transportation Center is located in the old Deans Warehouse between Ann and John Streets at 375 Meeting Street in downtown Charleston. Constructed in stages from 1840 to 1856, it is one of five railroad buildings known collectively as the William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures and is listed as a National Historic Landmark District. After an extensive renovation, which utilized much of the original materials of the building, the Visitor Center opened to the public in May of 1991.
The center is open seven days a week from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m, April 1 through October 31 and until 5 p.m, November 1 through March 31. The center is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day.
The Charleston Visitor Center offers a variety of services to ensure you have a carefree and enjoyable stay in the Holy City. Knowledgeable staff are available at the Visitor Planning Counter with information on:
Tours and Attractions
The Gift Shop offers a wide variety of Charleston souvenirs, postcards, and cold drinks.
The Gift Shop Theatre shows the 36-minute feature, Forever Charleston. It orients the viewer by presenting an overview of the history and diverse culture of the Charleston low country and offers suggestions of the sights to see. The first movie begins at 9 a.m. and runs every 45 minutes.
Call 800-774-0006 to request a Visitor Guide or visit the website for information on Charleston.
Photographs courtesy of Mr. Robert Benson and Cooper, Robertson and Partners Architecture, Urban Design-NYC.