Help Center
Click to Home
Go To Search
Related Documents ** Please note that form needs to be typed online.**

Prior to starting a fence for your house, please contact Engineering for assistance and information - Brenda Kittrell, 724-3782.

Encroachment Application Form
Application Review Schedule 

Sample Fence Encroachment
Sample Irrigation Encroachment
Sample Sign Encroachment

Article 3 Section 28 of the City of Charleston’s Code of Ordinances defines an encroachment as any privately owned items, objects or structures that are situated on, affixed to or overhanging any public right-of-way or any public property, such as a street, highway, sidewalk, parkway alley or drainage easement.

All encroachments require an Encroachment Permit from the City of Charleston’s Public Service Engineering Division. There are two types of encroachments:

Permanent Encroachment
Privately owned items, objects or structures affixed, connected, attached or fastened to any public right-of-way. Examples of these include footings, building cornices and parapets, balconies, portions of a residence, HVAC units, special finish sidewalks, and driveways.

Temporary Encroachment
Privately owned items or objects situated on, but not affixed, connected, attached or fastened to, any public right-of-way. Examples of these include non-permanently affixed street furniture, irrigation system, fences, awnings, and signs.

To apply for an Encroachment Permit please complete and submit an Encroachment Permit Application to the Public Service Engineering Division located at 2 George Street, Suite 2100. The application must be notarized and a scaled site plan and processing fee should be included. Please note the forms have been updated, effective 2014. 

Please note that Encroachment Permits should not be confused with Engineering Permits. An Engineering Permit is required for utility work or construction work in the Public Right of Way and an Encroachment Permit is permission from the City to place personal property in the Public Right of Way. For information on Engineering Permits, please visit the Engineering Division Website.

Marcella Hedegor
Department Secretary

2 George Street
Suite 2100
Charleston, SC 29401

Ph: 843-724-3754
Fx: 843-973-7261